Any game changing winter wetsuits!

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
abitwindy
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 10 times

Any game changing winter wetsuits!

Post by abitwindy »

Hi all, I have a pretty good mystic 5/3 winter suit and when its below 5d I wear a poly pro lined vest with hood underneath.
I was on a lake last week winging and although I wasn’t cold I wasn’t super warm.
I’ve seen some 6/5/4 (pro limit /ion )suits with hoods and just wanted to know if they would be much warmer than what I’ve already got ?
Or if there are any other really warm suits that people could recommend?
Cheers
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 82 times

Re: Any game changing winter wetsuits!

Post by Jeroensurf »

abitwindy wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:18 pm Hi all, I have a pretty good mystic 5/3 winter suit and when its below 5d I wear a poly pro lined vest with hood underneath.
I was on a lake last week winging and although I wasn’t cold I wasn’t super warm.
I’ve seen some 6/5/4 (pro limit /ion )suits with hoods and just wanted to know if they would be much warmer than what I’ve already got ?
yes.
imo Ripcurl and Cskins are warmer by a big margin as Mystic and PL
abitwindy
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by abitwindy »

I did have a Cskins wired many years ago ! It’s difficult to remember how warm it was but it certainly lasted well.

Also what can anyone comment of the open mitt style gloves ?
Jeff
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Jeff »

I have been using a Prolimit Mercury 6/4 for a few years, they are v popular locally; the easiest in/out of any chest zip I have used, so ideal for splash and dash sessions. More than flexible enough for windsurfing, feels more like a 5 or 4/3. Didn't go for a hooded one as I really don't like fixed hoods unless it's super cold.

I have an O'Neill mutant 5/4 for surfing with hood or not. Don't think I have a freakishly large bonce, but I had to buy a spare XL hood to go with a Medium suit. The Mutant is incredibly comfortable, flexible and warm. One other way of adding warmth is a thin impact vest and that can always be dumped back in the car if too warm, whereas you can't lose a polypro.

Huge fan of open palm mitts and often put them on, rolled up just in case as they can be session savers. Also have thin waterproof and windproof rigging gloves, to keep the ready break glow going as long as possible.
DaveMac
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by DaveMac »

Well I've just bought an O'Neill hyperfreak 5/4 with hood. I'm not looking to be out in really cold conditions, more like my last suit was more of a sieve. But it might extend my options down to 6 degrees plus wind chill. Think the idea of an impact vest sounds excellent. I have worn a neoprene 2mm vest under my old suit bu think I would struggle to get the new suit on with it.......the front chest zip is one small opening.
DaveMac

Post by DaveMac »

PS What is a poly pro lined vest?
Jeff
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Jeff »

Hey Dave, Polypro is the trade name for thermal/fleece tops and shorts, a lot warmer than rash vest material but thinner than neoprene. I tend to wear normal rash vest but with polypro shorts in winter, bit like these-

https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/2020-ri ... 19809.html
DaveMac

Post by DaveMac »

Cheers Jeff. Only got the open palm mitts a couple of years ago.....they are excellent too.
northy
Been liked: 21 times

Post by northy »

i wrote this on facebook some time back in october

..and cue everyone to suggest the suit they currently have...or worse (cynically) the brand they are commercially connected with / get a deal on...tsk tsk!

Like everyone says, Id say fit is key...So if can buy a few, try on at home and rtn. You also get to see the material first hand as not all 5mm is 5mm eg does it inc the lining etc. Also some have single lined more windproof chests (or even shoulders eg flashbomb heatseeker). Also see the zips etc....some are a lot better than others.

IMO if its really cold then more neoprene mm is difficult to over come with any other tech eg 6mm vs 4mm. Likewise an integrated hood is great if its cold.

Quite a few years back IMO Xcel were standout...but now all the brands do something similar ie with chest zip to reduce flushing, and some furry lining etc.

The more lining (head to toe) the more expensive. The more the exotic materials the more expensive...im not sure all the claims are valid in terms of how it really helps with the temp but i can tell you that furry stuff feels great - no question.

Some suits also try and have barriers at the cuffs and ankles eg Drylock...more expensive.

Last year i tried a few variants of ripcurl eg flashbomb, Xcel drylock and infiniti and oneill psycho tech and another oneill i cant recall the name. I have had Xcel for many years and also ripcurl. In the end I went with the Ripcurl as essentially it just feels like putting on a "onesie" - super furry all the way...but the zip is bloody awful. And they still have a stupid key pcoket....why bother? The Oneill felt great but i was a little apprehensive how well the "bubble" like material in the chest panel would last against snags. Similalrly the cheaper oneill with the jersey like materail (pin stripes?) bobbles up. The Xcels were super tough and id say the most robust and well made - but felt side by side felt heavy and stiff compared to the other two.
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Jeroensurf »

If you want a good bang for you buck: https://needessentialseu.com/
I got there most fancy hooded 6/5 Liquid fast dry thing for 300,- euro (calculating that is aprox 5000 pound ;) ).
The Hotwired 6mm C-skins is almost twice as expensive, a tiny bit warmer, but only by a little and takes ages to dry while the Need essential is next morning complete dry.
The XL suits my 188x96 covid kilo,s with patato figure very well.
When I need a new summer or autumn suit I probably buy more of them.
The only real downtrade is that they only come in boring black.