Any game changing winter wetsuits!

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
ronnie
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 114 times

Re: Any game changing winter wetsuits!

Post by ronnie »

I use an Xcel Infinity 6/5/4/ chest zip, hooded suit and IMO it lowers my lower limit for windsurfing from 8C to 6C (and still avoid painful hands). I'm 73, so do not generate a lot of heat from the amount of energy I expend, so I need a good suit.
abitwindy
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by abitwindy »

Thanks for all the info guys , think I’ll order a couple brands of the 6.5.4 type although as someone mentioned about there head size being different to the suit size I might struggle to get a built in hood that fits.
I’ve had lots of the main branded suits but it’s so difficult to compare as they only get replace once there full of holes and the neoprene goes slightly stiffer etc then whatever the new suit that it’s replaced with always feels great !
Perhaps we could all put our suits on and stand in the garden and see who/what brand lasts the longest :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whilst searching for suits sports direct popped up with half price gul (summer suits). So I bought a shorty for £27 , it turned up to today and I’m very impressed, fits well and amazing how easy a back zip is getting on / off!
Duncan Adam
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Duncan Adam »

I'm using an O'Neill Freak One 5/4 as my main suit with an older O'Neill Psychofreak 5/4 as back up.

If its really cold I also have an O'Neill Thermal Rash Vest to add, only when the wind chill is in minus temperatures.
BillG
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by BillG »

I always buy Rip curl as their size small fits me perfectly. I ordered a 6/5 hooded Flashbomb and found it much tighter than usual and the hood was tiny, or I've got a big head! Had to send it back and get a 5/4 which is lovely and toasty!
Ruaraidh_K257
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Ruaraidh_K257 »

Neil Pryde Recon (5/4/3)

Yes, I’m supported by Pryde, so I’m trying to be unbiased - the rest of their suits are warm and comfy but there are plenty of warm and comfy suits out there, so they’re nothing TOO special, just a matter of preference.

Except the Recon. I’ve never worn anything like it before. It has a bunch of weird technology in it and varying thicknesses so the bits you want to keep warm stay warm and the bits you want to move stay moveable. So far every 5/4 I’ve worn has given me cramp in my forearms in prolonged chilly sessions. This one didn’t, because the forearms are loaded with “expansion panels” which sound gimmicky but basically give you a ton more flex and so far have stopped me getting cramps whenever I wear it.

Just had a massive growth spurt so I’m needing to size up from small to small tall, but until that growth spurt the suit fit like a glove. The kind of wetsuit you never notice which is the best kind. Feels like you’re naked (but warm ha ha)
17, Scottish wavesailor
DaveMac
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by DaveMac »

Hmmmm. These game changer suits. As said earlier, I have just got an O'Neil hyperfreak and now an Xcel Infiniti so I can return one. Both are hooded 5mm suits. The Xcel feels warmer but harder to get on. The O'Neil has tighter forearms. On a proper cold day I am sure I would be grateful for the warmer suit. But I am concerned that I will need an autumn/spring suit ...in my case the leaky old back zip winter steamer. Do all you winter sailing hard nuts have 3 suits plus a shortie for heatwaves? It's a game changer to have a dedicated winter suit for me (yes I am late to the party). But I do want a suit that gets plenty of use. At what point do you switch to your autumn early summer suit or can you go straight to your summer suit?
I guess I am gaining 3 or 4 months of safer comfortable sailing for the price of a winter suit.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

I run one 5/3mm suit until the summer (BC Canada, similar temperatures to the UK but colder water) and then run an older 4/3mm full suit in the summer. What I do is layer over it, usually a kayak dry jacket and I add a hood. Many guys here use the Ion neoprene hooded jumpers, they go over top of everything including your harness.
For me loose forearms is critical, I borrowed a surf suit which was tight there and maybe lasted half as long.
ronnie
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by ronnie »

DaveMac wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:14 pm Hmmmm. These game changer suits. As said earlier, I have just got an O'Neil hyperfreak and now an Xcel Infiniti so I can return one. Both are hooded 5mm suits. The Xcel feels warmer but harder to get on. The O'Neil has tighter forearms. On a proper cold day I am sure I would be grateful for the warmer suit. But I am concerned that I will need an autumn/spring suit ...in my case the leaky old back zip winter steamer. Do all you winter sailing hard nuts have 3 suits plus a shortie for heatwaves? It's a game changer to have a dedicated winter suit for me (yes I am late to the party). But I do want a suit that gets plenty of use. At what point do you switch to your autumn early summer suit or can you go straight to your summer suit?
I guess I am gaining 3 or 4 months of safer comfortable sailing for the price of a winter suit.
I find the Xcel Infinity is easier to get on and off if you develop a procedure.
To get it off is more difficult. I start by pulling my boots half off my feet. Then loosening the hood cord and the zip cord and open the zip to pull the hood off.
Then pull the torso down as far as practical, and pull the left sleeve down until I can get my elbow/arm out.
Next, pull the right side of the torso down again and then the right sleeve to get the right shoulder out. etc.
Putting it on is the reverse - make sure to pull the torso up before putting the arms in - right arm first.

I think wetsuits are a very important investment - especially in Winter - If something goes wrong, it can go very wrong faster.
I have the 6/5/4 hooded, + a 5/3 mutant which has a hood or collar option, + a 5/3 with back zip and inner seal panel, + a 5/4 back zip very basic suit, +a 4/3 short sleeve summer suit and a 5/4 shortie cut from an old suit.
A lot of suits, partly because I lost over 3 stones a few years back. I think 4 suits is not an unreasonable number if you do a number of watersports - shortie, short sleeve lightweight, full Spring/Autumn 4/3 or 5/3 depending what your temperatures are, and a full hooded thick winter suit.
abitwindy
Has liked: 8 times

Post by abitwindy »

grantmac wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:40 pm I run one 5/3mm suit until the summer (BC Canada, similar temperatures to the UK but colder water) and then run an older 4/3mm full suit in the summer. What I do is layer over it, usually a kayak dry jacket and I add a hood. Many guys here use the Ion neoprene hooded jumpers, they go over top of everything including your harness.
For me loose forearms is critical, I borrowed a surf suit which was tight there and maybe lasted half as long.
I was looking at the neoprene hoodies , but did wonder if it would dangerous if you had to swim in it and it would probably be tricky to try and take off in the water if you had to swim.
grantmac

Post by grantmac »

I don't think either swimming or taking off would be very difficult. I don't own one yet but I'm thinking about it, they seem extremely comfortable.
The kayak dry jacket is excellent, super warm for almost zero weight. They are just expensive new but come up used pretty often anywhere that people paddle.