Any game changing winter wetsuits!

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
abitwindy
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Any game changing winter wetsuits!

Post by abitwindy »

I hadn't thought about a light weight sailing / kayaking type top they would be great for stopping wind chill and probably lighter/ less restrictive as those neoprene hoodies.
Broken Fin
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Broken Fin »

If you want to change the game then take the step into a neoprene drysuit.

It does not have many downsides compared to a wetsuit and you just put whatever you need between your skin and the neoprene to keep you warm.
Windchill does not affect you and you can extend your winter sessions like it was the summer.

Have worn out a Mystic Vulcanic and are now in a Ion Fuse. The Mystic has a better shape and is more easy to dress/undress with a front zip. The neck latex seal needed replacement but after that a super nice suit. The Ion Fuse has a back zip so a little bit troublesome when alone to dress but a very good neck seal and all in all works very good.

Using 6mm Atan shoes , 1.5mmm hood with a Gath helmet and 5mm C-skins gloves. Putting a impact west without zipper on the inside of the drysuit in the coldest part of the year to get some extra insulation.Image
Attachments
tjotta.jpg
abitwindy
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by abitwindy »

Broken Fin wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:29 am If you want to change the game then take the step into a neoprene drysuit.

It does not have many downsides compared to a wetsuit and you just put whatever you need between your skin and the neoprene to keep you warm.
Windchill does not affect you and you can extend your winter sessions like it was the summer.

Have worn out a Mystic Vulcanic and are now in a Ion Fuse. The Mystic has a better shape and is more easy to dress/undress with a front zip. The neck latex seal needed replacement but after that a super nice suit. The Ion Fuse has a back zip so a little bit troublesome when alone to dress but a very good neck seal and all in all works very good.

Using 6mm Atan shoes , 1.5mmm hood with a Gath helmet and 5mm C-skins gloves. Putting a impact west without zipper on the inside of the drysuit in the coldest part of the year to get some extra insulation.Image

Some years ago i used to kite with a dry suit in the really cold days and yes agree with you that you cannot beat it for warmth, the wife and i both had front zip typhoons and they were really good.
Ive still got my dry suit but i don't feel safe to wear it as if there was a leak you would be stuffed , maybe thats happened with age but i just feel more confident in a wetsuit.
Broken Fin
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Broken Fin »

Its not really a problem if you get a damage in the suit. It wont keep filling up with water when you are in the sea. There will be noe circulation. The neoprene ones like the Mystic Vulcanic and the Ion Fuse will act almost like any other 4mm wetsuit if damaged. I Used the Mystic for a while with a broken zipper. Not really a problem except the instant chill first time in... The neoprene ones are very, very durable.
The weak spot in my winter garment is the gloves. Always a compromise between grip and heat.