Americas cup

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
BillG
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 137 times

Americas cup

Post by BillG »

Watching the Americas cup races from NZ this afternoon (getting desperate with no windsurfing). While racing, the American boat crashed after a gybe while doing 40 Knots. Looked bloody painful. Puts a windsurfing catapult into perspective!
TwoFish
Has liked: 244 times
Been liked: 118 times

Re: Americas cup

Post by TwoFish »

Yep, they certainly struggled with their subsequent waterstart and now they're pretty busy with the ding stick. It has all been impressive to watch though and fantastic to see how sailing technology has produced yachts which can approach 50kts.

The Vendee Globe is all pretty exciting too.
DavidA
Been liked: 26 times

Post by DavidA »

Yep its good to watch. There has been stuff on You Tube about how Ineos have improved their boat which is interesting. As we don't get any exotic television have to watch Vendee on You Tube but I can only find it in french so a bit difficult to follow.
TwoFish
Has liked: 244 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by TwoFish »

DavidA wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:51 pm As we don't get any exotic television have to watch Vendee on You Tube but I can only find it in french so a bit difficult to follow.
There are daily video updates in English on the website: https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/web-tv
northy
Been liked: 21 times

Post by northy »

watched the highlights on YouTube last night - really cool (not that i understand a great deal)

@DavidA - where is the stuff "on You Tube about how Ineos have improved their boat which is interesting" please?
MauiBreeze
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by MauiBreeze »

Hazzabee
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Hazzabee »

Fantastic coverage again. Glorified dinghy sailing at its very best. Sadly all America's Cups for the rest of eternity are going to pale in comparison with the astonishing 2013 edition in stunning full throttle windy San Francisco Bay with the awe inspiring huuuge AC72 cats and the most incredible turnaround in the history of sport :shock:

DavidA

Post by DavidA »

Northy, Mozzy Sails on You Tube have a video on the Turnaround Tech on Ineos. Their videos are pretty interesting.
northy
Been liked: 21 times

Post by northy »

Cheers DavidA!
DavidA

Post by DavidA »

Watching the highlights I have noticed that the grinders are all using their arms i thought there was a move to using a bike type grinder. Surely a more efficient way of generating power just put a couple of Chris Hoys in there and you wouldn't need anyone else!
the other thing is in the American capsize nobody has really commented as to whether it was human error or whether it was the main sheet getting stuck as it didn't seem to be let out much when the gust came. Forgive me if that is not possible on these machines in which case bearing away would have helped.