No Unnecessary Travel.

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
ronnie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 91 times

No Unnecessary Travel.

Post by ronnie » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:12 pm

It seems to me, that will eliminate watersports unless you live right beside the water.
The one exercise rule basically seems like it would allow you on the water, but only if you live right beside the water.

At least we are allowed to go outside for exercise if we follow the rules.

The key thing is to avoid the spread of the virus, and staying home is the best way of doing that.

Sailrepair
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 86 times

Re: No Unnecessary Travel.

Post by Sailrepair » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:31 pm

I will see what happens tomorrow. I live next to the water so I rig up in my garden. But I also happen to live right next to the nuclear submarine base. So all my sailing is under the noses of the armed police boats. I hope they take a understanding view.

deckchair
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by deckchair » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:30 am

we are close but not close enough . its penny hall's yoga for surfer's and a home made windsurf simulator for us.

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:19 am

Logic is that walking from your garden and onto the sea for your exercise is one of the best ways to practice self-isolation.

I'm guessing the reasons they would give for closing down watersports in other countries is to do with risk and potential rescue. The Police might also say it is impractical for them to spend time monitoring it (how you got onto the water etc.).

I closed down my gym membership a few weeks ago and bought a fold-up rowing machine. It works well and takes up 20" by 29" floorspace.

TwoFish
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by TwoFish » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:53 am

Hmm. I'm not sure the 'what if they need rescuing' argument was particularly valid. I think the issue was more one of perception by / example to others. I took the decision not to travel to the beach to go sailing, not because my doing so presented any real virus transfer risk, but because others might have seen it as I / us not caring and just going on as normal. It may also have sent a signal to others that 'hanging out at the beach' was OK. Goodness knows there have been enough social media keyboard warriors waving their pitchforks at anyone whose life extends beyond the couch, some of them with the best of motives no doubt, but others who just seem to be life's puritans / pharisees.

Now we have more severe restrictions, it's very clearly 'stay home' time for those of us who are not by the sea.

Perceptions and 'the rules' aside though, as you say Ronnie, "the key thing is to avoid the spread of the virus, and staying home is the best way of doing that."

I thought this was a good article: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the ... us-shaming

PS. Hope you still get to sail Sailrepair.

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:12 pm

TwoFish wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:53 am
Hmm. I'm not sure the 'what if they need rescuing' argument was particularly valid. I think the issue was more one of perception by / example to others. I took the decision not to travel to the beach to go sailing, not because my doing so presented any real virus transfer risk, but because others might have seen it as I / us not caring and just going on as normal. It may also have sent a signal to others that 'hanging out at the beach' was OK. Goodness knows there have been enough social media keyboard warriors waving their pitchforks at anyone whose life extends beyond the couch, some of them with the best of motives no doubt, but others who just seem to be life's puritans / pharisees.

Now we have more severe restrictions, it's very clearly 'stay home' time for those of us who are not by the sea.

Perceptions and 'the rules' aside though, as you say Ronnie, "the key thing is to avoid the spread of the virus, and staying home is the best way of doing that."

I thought this was a good article: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the ... us-shaming

PS. Hope you still get to sail Sailrepair.
I agree with your comments TwoFish.

I haven't been on the water since about the 1st of March partly because of 'perception' though at times I swung to being ready to do it safely and see what the reactions were. Locally, others were sailing and there was no problems raised, but now we are in a different situation in some ways. In terms of risk, it can be lower than going out for a walk, but I'm expecting watersports will probably be advised against officially and as you say, there is the 'just doesn't look right' consideration in terms of perception.

I'm going to try to keep fit so that when it is 'approved' I will be ready.

Sailrepair
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Sailrepair » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:11 pm

I have just been out.

The police boat spotted me carrying my board down the slipway. When I came out of my drive carrying my sail the police boat was lined up with my road. It might have been a coincidence but I think they were looking up the road to see where I came from. (ie not from a car)

I sailed for an hour and the police boat never approached me.

Speaking to a friend in South Wales, police were stopping cars and asking them where they were going. I guess some places you will be able to sail while others might upset people.

TOTD
Been liked: 58 times

Post by TOTD » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:19 pm

Unnecessary or only essential travel , somewhat interpretation.

I know that not windsurfing for months on end, won’t harm you. I miss it in winter, and was so looking forward to April.

While some of your grandfathers weren’t locked away in a house with modern conveniences in 1939, they were in a War.
Someone always has it worse.

Just read your just made post Sailrepair. We are following a 6 foot rule here. My hospital yesterday was scary.
K4 4Boards Tri Sails,and Chocolate Chip cookies
Ibuprofen, Irish Whiskey

PK1111
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by PK1111 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:28 am

Happy to self isolate and work from home at the moment as shoulder is fubar after a snow boarding accident in Feb half term.
They shut the gym and pool though which is an almighty pain.

And before anyone jumps on their high horse, we need to remember that 95% of sufferers will only experience mild symptoms.
5% will need hospitalisation and 1% will die, which is the national average anyway. 2,000 people die in the UK every day.

Knowing that, a total lockdown is not going to survive long in the uk, and we should use the time wisely to build solutions to protect the 5% until we develop herd immunity or develop a vaccine.

I’m looking forward to a slow return to normality in the summer. 😇

And if you feel this is not a responsible position to take, then feel free to dispute with factual evidence and considered argument.
I laugh and make fun of ranters.

rod
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 159 times

Post by rod » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:04 am

So far 5% have died in the uk, using official figures... And I guess many more than 5% hospitalised.

The comparison with everyday deaths is also erroneous. If it was not hospitals would not be declaring 'critical incidents' and a lack of intensive care beds.

It is also clear from China, S Korea & Taiwan that there are other paths than the daft darwinian herd immunity.