No Unnecessary Travel.

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Distinctly Average
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: No Unnecessary Travel.

Post by Distinctly Average » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:38 pm

Not the coast but a place I visit often. Seen loads of people lighting barbecues there and many smoking it what is a tinder box. I would not be surprised if that is what has caused this devastation, the place has been packed the past couple of weeks.

rod
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 159 times

Post by rod » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:01 pm

PhilN wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:33 pm
I am asking you all to go back to Ministers in Westminster and ask them to put a travel restriction on England, as they have done in Wales and Scotland.

“In those devolved nations you can only travel 5 miles from home for reasons other than work or risk fines, and I am asking that a similar policy is brought in for England with immediate effect.
Doing that would probably be worse for the Gov than the Cummings and goings at Durham, if my Welsh windsurfing friends are anything to judge by. Most of them are within the 5mile range of the coast, and can now sail, but are also still furious with the Welsh Gov for their hypocritical rules (e.g. Before Monday you could drive to play Golf but not to go surfing).

I suspect as soon as it gets a bit cooler and rainy everything will quickly go back to normal, especially when shops etc open and people start working again.

PhilN
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by PhilN » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:13 pm

rod wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:01 pm
PhilN wrote:
I am asking you all to go back to Ministers in Westminster and ask them to put a travel restriction on England, as they have done in Wales and Scotland.

“In those devolved nations you can only travel 5 miles from home for reasons other than work or risk fines, and I am asking that a similar policy is brought in for England with immediate effect.
Doing that would probably be worse for the Gov than the Cummings and goings at Durham, if my Welsh windsurfing friends are anything to judge by. Most of them are within the 5mile range of the coast, and can now sail, but are also still furious with the Welsh Gov for their hypocritical rules (e.g. Before Monday you could drive to play Golf but not to go surfing).

I suspect as soon as it gets a bit cooler and rainy everything will quickly go back to normal, especially when shops etc open and people start working again.
I tried to highlight what BCP were suggesting in bold, to make it stand out. Looks like that failed. They aren't suggesting a 5 mile limit, like Wales has.

"My suggestion is that rather than a mileage limit, the restriction is on the first part of the postcode, for us it would be BH or DT. This would enable people to travel to local parks, beaches and beauty spots, to get to shops, markets and schools or to travel to work. It would not be foolproof, but there would be some tolerance but it would enable us to do what we intended to do – to enable the 800,000 residents of Dorset to enjoy Dorset.
"

PhilN

Post by PhilN » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:16 pm

Distinctly Average wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:38 pm
Not the coast but a place I visit often. Seen loads of people lighting barbecues there and many smoking it what is a tinder box. I would not be surprised if that is what has caused this devastation, the place has been packed the past couple of weeks.

200 acres of forest went up in smoke in Dorset. They found about 10 BBQs scattered around, so likely that 1 of those caused the fire. 150 firefighters were used to put it out, and it took 10 days to get it out completely.
Next weekend, DW Fire service put out 16 unattended BBQs in Studland alone.

TwoFish
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by TwoFish » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:51 pm

BCP Council Leader Vikki Slade wrote:
My suggestion is that rather than a mileage limit, the restriction is on the first part of the postcode, for us it would be BH or DT. This would enable people to travel to local parks, beaches and beauty spots, to get to shops, markets and schools or to travel to work. It would not be foolproof, but there would be some tolerance but it would enable us to do what we intended to do – to enable the 800,000 residents of Dorset to enjoy Dorset.[/b]
Sounds like Bournemouth, Christchurch & Poole area residents need new council leadership. The local council seems to have failed to manage the situation properly and in consequence is seeking to punish decent, well behaved people instead of dealing with problem behaviour. That's a bit like the crap teacher who can't keep order deciding to 'punish the whole of the class'.

Hopefully the local MPs will tell her to fuck off.

Distinctly Average

Post by Distinctly Average » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:44 pm

I had a teacher that like the punish the whole class method. His attitude was let the little feckers beat the offender up. He was too stupid to realise it just gave the usual bullies an excuse and a free pass. That teacher was also a prick who went trophy hunting in Africa on his holidays so was never going to get any respect from the mostly liberal pupils and teachers at the school.

Back to the councils, it seems that many are just looking to increase their powers through legislation. I get the feeling they want to use this as an excuse to put in restrictions, probably money making, that they would otherwise struggle to pass. Either that or they are looking for an increase in their annual central funding.

rod
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 159 times

Post by rod » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:49 pm

PhilN wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:13 pm
I tried to highlight what BCP were suggesting in bold, to make it stand out. Looks like that failed. They aren't suggesting a 5 mile limit, like Wales has.

"My suggestion is that rather than a mileage limit, the restriction is on the first part of the postcode, for us it would be BH or DT.
I’m sure, like me, everyone reading this understood what was being proposed, and the (very slight) difference with Wales.

I’m sure they also understood the l’m alright Jack (in my beauty spot), stay in your flat in Verwood (or wherever is just outside the postcode) message... And it’s exactly that that has bought out the worst in attitudes from both the visitors and locals.

PhilN

Post by PhilN » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:34 am

TwoFish wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:51 pm
BCP Council Leader Vikki Slade wrote:
My suggestion is that rather than a mileage limit, the restriction is on the first part of the postcode, for us it would be BH or DT. This would enable people to travel to local parks, beaches and beauty spots, to get to shops, markets and schools or to travel to work. It would not be foolproof, but there would be some tolerance but it would enable us to do what we intended to do – to enable the 800,000 residents of Dorset to enjoy Dorset.[/b]
Sounds like Bournemouth, Christchurch & Poole area residents need new council leadership. The local council seems to have failed to manage the situation properly and in consequence is seeking to punish decent, well behaved people instead of dealing with problem behaviour. That's a bit like the crap teacher who can't keep order deciding to 'punish the whole of the class'.

Hopefully the local MPs will tell her to fuck off.
Dorset County Council decided to keep their car parks closed, they didnt want to attract crowds. Lulworth is a private car park, and got lots of customers. After the tombstoning incident (cheered on by 100s), Dorset CC closed the roads. Next day 100's drove past the road closed signs. The police didnt stop them. Councils can only do so much, they dont have sweeping powers, apart from litter picking which starts 2am as a significant amount of people cant be bothered to take their rubbish home.

BCP Council decided to open their car parks as they thought it would be better than having 1000's clog up the local roads & illegal parking (which happened in Dorset BTW).
Throughout both areas, examples of people not distancing can be seen. I'm sure its the same as in other popular coastal (and non coastal) areas.

Other countries like Germany and France have left it to individual states/councils to decide the local policy. I think France has (or had) a 100km restriction on travel. England hasn't done that, but they say there might be local lockdowns if there are regional spikes. I'd have preferred a more gradual easing, it would have deterred the mad rush and crowds.

Local politics.
BCP has been Tory for years, but at the last election they lost their majority by 1 seat iirc, and a number of other smaller parties and Independents formed an alliance. I've been reading that at the start of this crisis, the Tories said they wouldn't undermine the leadership. 1 non Tory councillor past away, within days the Tories are putting through a vote of no confidence in the leadership.

PhilN

Post by PhilN » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:45 am

rod wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:49 pm
PhilN wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:13 pm

"My suggestion is that rather than a mileage limit, the restriction is on the first part of the postcode, for us it would be BH or DT.
I’m sure, like me, everyone reading this understood what was being proposed, and the (very slight) difference with Wales.

I’m sure they also understood the l’m alright Jack (in my beauty spot), stay in your flat in Verwood (or wherever is just outside the postcode) message... And it’s exactly that that has bought out the worst in attitudes from both the visitors and locals.
Said Rod who won't tell anyone where his Welsh wave sailing spot is, #localsonly.

A postcode derived system is a good idea as BCP residents all pay local council tax and should expect the same service.
It might be a small difference, but has significant implications, if you think about it.
eg Its very easy to police;
Plod: Whats your address and postcode?
vs
Plod: 'Whats your address? I'll just measure the distance to see if its legal or not.

A gradual easing over a month would reduce the rush from outside the area, and reduce transmitting the virus throughout the country.

Distinctly Average

Post by Distinctly Average » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:22 am

What we should do is deploy tear gas and rubber bullets on all beach goers in Brighton and hove unless they are locals. Maybe asphyxiate one or two just for good measure. However, you will need to have special wide parking bays installed for the armoured vehicles.