Who or what got you started windsurfing?

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
Distinctly Average
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: Who or what got you started windsurfing?

Post by Distinctly Average » Wed May 20, 2020 8:27 pm

Talking of shop managers, is that grumpy chap at Queen Elizabeth Rez still there, and still grumpy?

James.blonde
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by James.blonde » Wed May 20, 2020 9:33 pm

Wetsoot,
There's a 2012 fanatic 85l freewave on windsurfing kit for sale facebook for £325. Looks a nice board with minimal use. Single fin which is fine for blasting about on. Colin newington is the person selling it. No connection to him

WetSoot
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by WetSoot » Thu May 21, 2020 1:00 pm

saw that..... but i've made an offer on another board and sails.... once (if) its accepted, I'll post details... but not dissimilar to the Fanatic. Excited!

WetSoot

Post by WetSoot » Thu May 21, 2020 3:08 pm

So, I've bought a Naish Koncept 80, 2013, with 3 sails, 3.2, 4.0 and 4.8 (small sails suits me given i'm only 65Kg), Ezzy Hookipa RD mast and a decent boom, plus various fins, extensions etc.... really really excited to be getting out on the water again!

Couldn't resist the Naish brand.... spent too many teenage years idolising the man! :lol:
B9602287-E0C8-482C-8134-65CC0F7ED8E8.jpeg
Last edited by WetSoot on Fri May 22, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

James.blonde
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by James.blonde » Thu May 21, 2020 5:08 pm

Well done for pulling the trigger and getting some kit. Clear the diary and get out there, this weekend could be on!

WetSoot

Post by WetSoot » Thu May 21, 2020 5:15 pm

sadly, won’t have the kit until after the weekend....saying that... after 15+ years of not windsurfing, this weekend's forecast might not be the kindest thing for my forearms anyway! 😂

ronnie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by ronnie » Fri May 22, 2020 8:04 am

What we all need now is a windy summer!
Your quiver looks good and should get you going in fairly light wind.

WetSoot

Post by WetSoot » Mon May 25, 2020 9:45 pm

One of the things that seems to have shifted a bit in the time I’ve been away from the sport is sail size.

I’m not sure if its the (long overdue) death of the ‘big sail’ macho culture, a vast improvement in sail performance, or a bit of both, but i’m picking up a vibe that, as a 65Kg sailor, my largest sail, a 4.8*, will cover me for not far off all wind conditions where an 80ltr board is useable... and i’ll use the smaller sails, down to the 3.2 a fair bit too.

When I last windsurfed, a 3.2 was for conditions that could be only be described as ‘ballistic’, and might get used once a year if you were lucky, and only then if you were in the category labelled ‘a little crazy’ as most people had cried off and gone for a beer instead.... 😂

Sounds like people have finally worked out what apparent wind is, and realised that on most waves, its the board doing the work, not the rig!

* I might get a 5.3ish at some point, for those really marginal days...

ronnie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by ronnie » Tue May 26, 2020 7:38 am

WetSoot wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:45 pm
One of the things that seems to have shifted a bit in the time I’ve been away from the sport is sail size.

I’m not sure if its the (long overdue) death of the ‘big sail’ macho culture, a vast improvement in sail performance, or a bit of both, but i’m picking up a vibe that, as a 65Kg sailor, my largest sail, a 4.8*, will cover me for not far off all wind conditions where an 80ltr board is useable... and i’ll use the smaller sails, down to the 3.2 a fair bit too.

When I last windsurfed, a 3.2 was for conditions that could be only be described as ‘ballistic’, and might get used once a year if you were lucky, and only then if you were in the category labelled ‘a little crazy’ as most people had cried off and gone for a beer instead.... 😂

Sounds like people have finally worked out what apparent wind is, and realised that on most waves, its the board doing the work, not the rig!

What you have got now is what will suit the most fun conditions. It can handle a sail up to 5.7m, but it is a big platform, being 234cm long and 58cm wide, so you could have fun with smaller sails up to maybe 5.3m practising sail handling and freestyle moves in light wind and flatter water, rather than chasing freeride planing.
Steven Van Broeckhoven is about 88kg and this is him with a 5.3m sail in light winds.

My best holidays were with a board and 2 sails that suited good conditions, rather than taking a board and sails to cover the lighter winds.

BTB
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by BTB » Tue May 26, 2020 10:05 pm

WetSoot wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:45 pm

I think that gear has improved but also the gear is much easier to tailor to a type of sailor. Back in the day i had sails from 3.5 up to 7.5. Now I have 4.5 - 6m. I'm a heavy weight at 88kg. The range is about the same, the 6m maybe not as good as an old 7.5 in light winds but add a new wider board and the range pretty much there. So less kit for a similar range.

One big change is shorter luff lengths and therefore softer masts for a given size. That is the key to the bigger range. Sails feel smaller and lighter but the drive is still there, as a lightweight this should really suit you.