Windfoil + wingfoil boards.

Foiling related talk in here
ronnie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: Windfoil + wingfoil boards.

Post by ronnie » Sat May 23, 2020 1:05 pm

A review of the Moses 1100W. He says it starts earliest with the windfoil setup also when wingfoiling on a 90litre 190cm by 70cm kite race board.

Last edited by ronnie on Sun May 24, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeroensurf
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jeroensurf » Sat May 23, 2020 3:00 pm

Some 90kg guys over here use tiny 45l board! and fly all over the place.
With virt. no weight they are very easy to pump to get quickly going.
Personally I like it as a light wind alternative and a bit more float.

James.blonde
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by James.blonde » Sat May 23, 2020 3:35 pm

One thing that may have an influence on your choice Billy is what will be available this summer. Stocks of all types of kit are low due production and transport issues. Something about about pandemic...

rod
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 159 times

Post by rod » Sat May 23, 2020 7:06 pm

billyboy wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:00 pm
@rod, the recommended foil for the pocket rocket is this:

https://equipment.robertoriccidesigns.c ... u-set-y25/

It seems to fit your recommended specs.
Right now the pocket rocket is favourite, but still thinking 🤔
Looks ok but know nothing about that foil. Lots of people like the pocket rocket (though it would be too small for me at 89kg).

rod

Post by rod » Sat May 23, 2020 7:30 pm

However I wouldn't buy a foil from a windsurf brand, for the reasons above.

nimo
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by nimo » Sun May 24, 2020 7:11 pm

I am very pleased with my pocket rocket. I have used it about 10 times now.
It is the third foil board I have owned so far.
RRD H fire was the first one, nice for race style big sails but not my cup of tea.
Slingshot Wizard 125 next. very nice high quality board.
Pocket rocket currently. the best for me so far. The mast track is further back than the wizard which means the trim control is more front foot and back foot control instead of mast foot pressure. I find this better over a bigger wind range. love it! I am riding it strapless and really enjoying that aspect too.
Foil wise I am using the slingshot I76. a great design. the build is a little agricultural though and fairly heavy ( not a big deal in my opinion).
If I were buying today I think Moses would get my money. the same great performance wings with a sleeker fuselage design. They look to have the best range of wings too.
I have only tried my GA wing once so far. I am looking forward to doing a bit more winging now we are allowed out again.
One big moan I have regarding most of these multi use boards (including my pocket rocket) is why the f@$& do they have the windfoil box as a tuttle and the SUP/Winging box as a track? faffing around swapping the head over on my foil on a sandy beach is a pain I really don't need........
Pick a system and stick to it please! ;)

Smidge
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by Smidge » Sun May 24, 2020 8:11 pm

In considering the weight of a foil, is it relevant that the slingshot foil wings have so much buoyancy (presumably carbon fibre wrap over a foam interior) that the bigger wings plus fuselage and mast just about float, despite all the agricultural aluminium? Will this reduce the impact of its weight relative to a similar weight foil that is more dense (eg the old NP pink thing with G10 wings).

billyboy
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by billyboy » Wed May 27, 2020 8:18 am

I have ordered the pocket rocket. Hopefully can pick up on Friday. Sorry @Rod, but I went for the RRD foil as its a lot cheaper and should at least be minimum hassle - they must have tested it with the pocket rocket loads so it can't be that bad!

@nimo - your mini review makes me think I made a good choice with the board :).

Now, where to go on the south coast for these E/NE winds (always been a problem!!). Shoreham is closest beach to me so might be there - it'll be really gusty though, which I guess is not ideal for learning. But for flattish water I'm not sure where is significantly better...

ronnie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by ronnie » Wed May 27, 2020 10:01 am

Smidge wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:11 pm
In considering the weight of a foil, is it relevant that the slingshot foil wings have so much buoyancy (presumably carbon fibre wrap over a foam interior) that the bigger wings plus fuselage and mast just about float, despite all the agricultural aluminium? Will this reduce the impact of its weight relative to a similar weight foil that is more dense (eg the old NP pink thing with G10 wings).
Off the board, the buoyancy of the front wing will tend to make the foil turn upside down. You notice this more in smaller, narrower boards. I put my NP Large foil on my JP 105 and tried paddling it, and it did feel like when the board tilted enough, the floatation of the wing made it feel less stable, less easy to recover.
With some of the small wingfoil boards, they will sit in the water with the foil upright, but if they get tilted, they then sit on their side with a tip of the front wing at the surface.
So in the water, the floatier wing does have an effect IMO. The extra buoyancy can contribute slightly to earlier planing (maybe moreso because floatier front wings tend to be thicker) - and I think there is a slight effect on roll stability at bigger angles.

rod

Post by rod » Wed May 27, 2020 3:14 pm

billyboy wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:18 am
Shoreham is closest beach to me so might be there - it'll be really gusty though, which I guess is not ideal for learning. But for flattish water I'm not sure where is significantly better...
Wow fab!
Flatter water is more important than gusty wind (well to a point). Even if it is a bit gusty you will feel much more in control in flatter water to begin with.
It would also be worth checking out inland water near you, as long as there is enough wind that can also be a great option.
Isn't this place near you?
https://goo.gl/maps/VrWTTwNjecncdR6S8