Foiling related talk in here
rod
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 159 times

Re: Windfoil + wingfoil boards.

Post by rod » Thu May 28, 2020 10:07 pm

billyboy wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:35 pm
. I'll definitely try it, not least because its only 15 mins away! If it works in N'lys itll be a great option.

Closed to non-members right now though...
I'd try it when it opens. Takes a bit of a brain shift, but you quickly learn that all the conditions you have been avoiding and are crap for windsurfing are fantastic for windfoiling. Including gusty inland water.

billyboy
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by billyboy » Fri May 29, 2020 8:14 am

Jeroensurf wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:00 pm
rod wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:07 pm
Jeroen was it more buoyant than your Naish Hover?
Sorry for the late reply, been very busy with catching up at work.
Floatwise I would say similar, but because the RRD is 50cm shorter!! it isd a bit less stable, prone to get the nose dive when you standing a bit too far to the front, but with my 95kg I could easily uphaul and sail with virt no wind.
Pretty sure BB gonna have a blast with it.
tip: don,t rig too small as it needs a bit more to get going and start with your fron foot in the strap before going. 180 doesn't give much glide so it ploughs till you suddenly pop up and fly :), being in the front straps ads a lot of control due its shorth length.

tip 2: start without the rear straps only on it first. being able to adjust your rear foot position between the grey and black part of the pad without being fixxed to one position ads a lot of freedom and makes it easier to find out where you like it when you put it on.
Thanks Jeroen. I was thinking I might start (and maybe continue) strapless, but if its easier with front straps I'll do that to begin with. I have a 5-oceans 5.5m that can be set with plenty of grunt which I will use when its light. I wonder how light I can go!

Whats the general advice on impact vests? I have a helmet I will wear but thinking I a bit of extra protection from the foil might be wise - especially as I'll be launching and landing in shorebreak from time to time...

Jeroensurf
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jeroensurf » Fri May 29, 2020 6:55 pm

I guess without a frontstrep it feels very sketchy/uncontrollable, especially while learning so i would advice to keep live simple and start with the fronts traps on it..

protection:
I got bioprene protection! (aka as middle aged abdominal fat squeezed in a suit) wich seems to float better as well!
A helm might be nice, but every time I get somewhere hit on my head it is straight in the face and I simply refuse to sail with an fullface helmet.
But if it feels saver why not. i know a guy who wears a blue helmet for ages and only recognise him IRL when he is wearing that :mrgreen:

rod
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 159 times

Post by rod » Fri May 29, 2020 7:16 pm

I wonder who that is! Too hot for a helmet today so just wore a peaked cap for foiling.

Like Jeroen I would really recommend front straps. I think it will make things easier. You'll know where to put your feet etc.

ronnie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by ronnie » Sat May 30, 2020 7:44 am

One of the advantages of a boom on the wing - same as a sail, you can sail one handed.

Some good one handed boom work during this downwinder (and filming and commentary - "If you want footage - slow the f**k down!") :lol: .

Robby Naish explaining why he changed his mind and added windows.
Last edited by ronnie on Sat May 30, 2020 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

James.blonde
Been liked: 29 times

Post by James.blonde » Sat May 30, 2020 8:02 am

On my few brief wing surfing sessions on my Gong wing, you definitely think a boom is better than handles. To sheet in more you have to let go of the handle and try to grasp the next one down, as you can imagine the wing wants to sheet out as you do this. A boom would let you slide your hand down in infinite positions.
A handled setup is meant to be more powerful but a boom more stable.
If I get another it will be the doutone.

ronnie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by ronnie » Sat May 30, 2020 9:06 am

James.blonde wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:02 am
On my few brief wing surfing sessions on my Gong wing, you definitely think a boom is better than handles. To sheet in more you have to let go of the handle and try to grasp the next one down, as you can imagine the wing wants to sheet out as you do this. A boom would let you slide your hand down in infinite positions.
A handled setup is meant to be more powerful but a boom more stable.
If I get another it will be the doutone.
I think Duotone argue that because they don't have a strut blocking the central area of their wing, it is more powerful, but we haven't seen wings compared to prove which has the most power/area. The only races they ever held, it seemed the original Duotone outperformed the original Naish.

I have the original Duotone, and one of it's downsides is that it is not inherently stable when held by the nose handle - it tends to develop a figure 8 oscillation of gradually increasing amplitude. When riding waves, to flag out the Duotone and keep it stable they found they had to reach under the leading edge and hold the boom by the vertical plastic web at the front of the boom - as this guy does.

The 2020 Duotone ECHO wing is a bit flatter and is more stable when held by the nose handle, but still not quite as stable on the nose handle as the best of the strutted wings. Duotone claim it is also a bit more powerful than the 2019 wing.
The 2019 wing and the 2020 ECHO seem to be designed around maximising using the wind and sacrificing some flagging out stability. It's also a bit heavier than most strutted wings (due to the boom) and doesn't pack down as small as strutted wings. So it is aimed more at freeride foiling, with less emphasis on maximising using wave power.

Duotone also has the UNIT wing for 2020, which is a windowless downwind wing with a strut instead of a boom, so that will be competing with the strutted wings.

I chose the Duotone, because I'm not going to see many proper ocean swell waves and mostly have local wind driven waves, so it's just another way of doing some windfoiling, with an option to ride the waves a different way.

Jeff
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Jeff » Sat May 30, 2020 1:44 pm

I've subscribed to www.thefoilingmagazine.com recently, the print edition has been very good so far, readable travelog articles and some really detailed but digestible tech stuff too. Issue #3 had a history of wingfoiling.

Normally printed on quality paper, more like a coffee table book than a mag, I just had an email to say issue #4 is now out, but in digital only due to coronavirus issues and is free to all to download from their site if people want to check it out.

northy
Been liked: 20 times

Post by northy » Sat May 30, 2020 4:26 pm

What wing boards do people recommend ?

Can you learn basics on say a SUP?
Could I then move onto use my windsurfing foil and board eg Naish Hover 122 and slingshot i76 foil?

James.blonde
Been liked: 29 times

Post by James.blonde » Sat May 30, 2020 4:32 pm

I session on a sup then straight onto a board with a foil will be fine. The progression through boards sizes is rapid to say the least.
A sup for a couple of hours
Then a board with a foil of say 130ish litres for a few sessions
Then you will find yourself wanting something shorter at least and probably 90 ish litres.
There's little point in staying in a 130l board if you can go shorter as the smaller board will actually be easier to control once up and going.