Fixing fin barrel nuts

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
Smidge
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 78 times

Fixing fin barrel nuts

Post by Smidge »

I have an old deep tuttle fin and the brass barrel nuts that the fin bolts screw into need replacing. I have bought replacement nuts but i dont know how to get the old ones out (whack them?) or whats the best way to get the new ones to stick in place. Any ideas? Thanks
ronnie
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 114 times

Re: Fixing fin barrel nuts

Post by ronnie »

Smidge wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:03 pm I have an old deep tuttle fin and the brass barrel nuts that the fin bolts screw into need replacing. I have bought replacement nuts but i dont know how to get the old ones out (whack them?) or whats the best way to get the new ones to stick in place. Any ideas? Thanks
I have developed the impression that they might have a slight taper, because they tended to come out easier for me in one direction, but I can't remember which direction.
You could try rolling them on a flat surface to check if there is a taper?
They tap in and out, so I try one side, then the other, gradually increasing the impact. The screwdriver slot is just for rotation to align them.

I've almost always found that they stay in place when inserted - an interference fit. That helps get them to move to the perfect alignment when first inserting the bolt. Corrosion tends to help them stay in place.
maker
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by maker »

I guess it is same on Powerbox fins where I knocked the old one out, quite easy. Put a brass barrel nut it, put bolt in, ensured it was vertical then filed ends of nut until flush with head of fin.
DaveMac
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by DaveMac »

Out of curiousity Smidge...how did you know the thread had gone? It just rotated without tightening or proactive maintenance? I lost a powerbox fin once , hadn't done anything I was aware of like impact damage. Fortunately on an inside gybe. I'd used it a long time so pretty sure the bolt was long enough and fully engaged. Brass/stainless interaction? Should the barrel nuts be replaced as a matter of course. I don't recommend the harness under the board on the back strap idea. Didn't work for me. True saddo I went down at low tide at night to see if I could find the fin (32cm G10) and always wonder if I will spot it in the shingle or up on Hove prom after a storm ( after 8 years :lol: :lol: !)
BTB
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by BTB »

Now you have me worried.

I'm a big fan of the powerbox system. By far the best way to attach fins to a board. I guess all systems have screws and threads and apart from the 2x involved in a tuttle set up there is nothing you can do about a thread giving in. Something else to check on.
Distinctly Average
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by Distinctly Average »

There is no taper on them. They are actually a standard part used by cabinet makers. Back in the days of MFI and the like you could get spares from them. IIRC, they came in three different sizes. You could buy a pack of 100 from hardware suppliers for about the same cost as two from a windsurfing shop. Probably still can. Brass barrel nuts is the search term to use on Google. I got lucky on the Boards forums a few years back when a fellow forumite sent me a load from his stash.

Use a hammer and drift to tap them out. Sometimes takes a bit of effort to break any glue that may have been used to fix them.
Smidge
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by Smidge »

Thanks for all the feedback. This is a fin that is used very rarely - and since foiling took off almost never - and its 21 years old. I noticed one day that the front bolt was wobbly (just stored in the garage) so i pulled it and it came straight out with some resistance but not a lot. The back bolt would pull out with a very, very strong pull with bare hands. I suspect this is caused by galvanic corrosion- which we all worry about much more with foils. Lesson would be to not leave the bolts in the fin when being stored for the very long term unless 110% sure that bolts are bone dry, and use tefgel if you plan to just leave the bolt in for years.

Im getting the fin operational again as its exactly the same size, shape and brand as the fins that come with the iqfoil youth board - so we didnt bother buying one new and my daughter will use this one if she ever needs to use a fin (in a non official one design race , or take the penalty if anyone complains (unlikely in domestic comp unless you come in top few places).