Unifiber mast chart

Windsurf equipment based chatter should be in here.
toto
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unifiber mast chart

Post by toto »

What are the views on the latest unifiber masts chart? It's a bit harder to understand as the information is more binary with only 3 categories rather than the scale they used previously.

https://www.unifiber.net/mast-selector

Have Neil Pryde really changed their masts and sails flex profilex since 2019, implying a lack of backwards compatability?

And Duotone/North always almost bang in the centre of constant curve are now apparently a bit flex top (though flexing in centre apparently..??) , more so than Neil Pryde who are now 'perfect' constant curve?
maker
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Unifiber mast chart

Post by maker »

One thing I liked about the older one was if you couldn't afford the manufacturer's mast but found a good deal 1* away it was worth it. Apparently I use a CC mast with CC FL sails, and a CC FL mast with CC FH sail. None are perfect but good enough so maybe newer stuff is so close it matters less what mast you use. I guess you can still use old Selector with old stuff. Maybe the message is manufacturers are getting closer and biggest difference is build quality and colours.
BTB
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by BTB »

I saw it and it looks flat out wrong to me.

I read it that
FL = yellow = flex low = hard top and
FH = red = flex high = soft top

If you go back to 2019 and the old easy to understand version with the dots you get the results you expect: GA, Naish, Servene, vandal all on the hard top end and Pryde, Duotone, Goya on the soft top end. This has been the established norm for many years. The only changes have been the HT brands moving closer toward CC. In 2019 only 4 brands had at least one dot in the HT section where as 9 had at least 1 dot in ST.

https://www.unifiber.net/unifiber-masts ... or-2019-v1

But according to their 2021 version Duotone are FL (Flex low/hard top) and always have been. Same with Simmer. They also have Vandal down as being flex top - again I'd say the exact opposite is true - they are a small brand that evolved out of GA and were known to work on the hard top GA masts. Point 7, one of the few brands that were using clearly hard top, are another that seems to have jumped from one end of the spectrum to the other. In addition to brands jumping from one end to the other they have Pryde (long term soft top) in the CC range (suggesting they recently shifted there) and Naish down as long term CC - they were very clearly HT for many years.

So i dont trust it.
maker
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by maker »

BTB wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:26 pm I saw it and it looks flat out wrong to me.

I read it that
FL = yellow = flex low = hard top and
FH = red = flex high = soft top

If you look at diagram here https://www.unifiber.net/windsurf-masts correlations look other way round i.e. FH = hard top. Diagrams suggest the top only becomes more flexy in the last 10%