The place to discuss technique.
ronnie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: Re-attaching the rig in a wild sea

Post by ronnie » Fri May 22, 2020 10:40 pm

maker wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:00 pm
I saw a video on exactly that on Youtube but cannot find it again. I think he sat on the board (a sinky one) and laid the sail across the front of the board and bent UJ, I use tendons and bending is hard, and as you say that re-assuring click is hard to get. If anyone finds it please post here,
That sounds like this one?

That is done in light winds, small waves and a fairly wide board.

I have enough difficulty in attaching a mast on a Euro pin in waist deep water and small shore break, so I have bought a mechanical U/J to use at one location where I would have to join the sail and board in the water while standing.

Sailrepair
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Sailrepair » Sat May 23, 2020 8:23 am

While that video is quite good I would not encourage people to disconnect their rig at sea. There is a big difference between force 4 over warm water than a English channel near gale. If you drop the sail down wind in a strong wind and sit on your board you will drift down wind pushing the sail deep under water.

Some mast extension require you to press the release button when connecting the mast base. Sods law says that the release button would not be easy to press.

The stiffness of your UJ/tendon will also make a very big difference to ease of reassemble.

PK1111
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by PK1111 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:48 pm

Thinking about it, and with smaller gear, especially in windier and choppy conditions, I’d try to sink the sail head first downwind, turn the board over, and then try to reattach.
That won’t work in proper waves, but then I don’t think anything else will!

maker
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by maker » Sun May 24, 2020 2:14 pm

Last time it was detached I ended up with sail top pointing downwind, then got board on edge with me between board and rig. Lifted mast base in one hand and uj in other gand with board still on its edge, and hoped waves smashing into board clicked uj pin into mast base, and not deck. Much harder with big boards and heavy sails.

FKPhil
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by FKPhil » Sun May 24, 2020 2:15 pm

Yes I don’t think that video helps, I doubt I could have even sat across my board that day.
Looking at these mechanical joints it seems they should work, at least from this shot it looks like it goes just beyond 90°.
unsave.jpg
I carry a small spare mast base on my harness anyway, after a spate of tendon breaks a few years back.
It annoying taps my bottom occasionally when I’m blasting, reminding me of my younger days on crowded public transport.
So I think the solution might be to swap that spare for one with a mechanical joint.

BillG
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by BillG » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:48 am

Sailing at Worthing yesterday I was out near the marker buoy and noticed a sailor struggling with his rig and board. I gybed and sailed back by which time another sailor had dropped in to help. His gear was floating away so I dropped in and grabbed it. Eventually they seemed to sort things out and the first sailor started sailing back in. He was sailing very carefully so I followed him back in and stopped to chat.
The bottom tendon bolt had torn through the rubber but the 'strings' had held the rig in place (I've never the believed those strings actually did any thing!). Once they'd managed to push the tendon back in the hole he was able sail.

He was pretty lucky the strings held as the buoy's about as far out as anybody usually sails and the sea was all over the place. I stayed closer in for the rest of the day!

maker

Post by maker » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:53 am

That's what I like about tendons is that only invisible failure point is the holes where pins insert, and those can be visible and inspected by disassembling.

Duncan Adam
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Duncan Adam » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:52 am

Maybe an option is what rod does, he has a piece of old fin base that slides in behind the mast base, so even if the base became loose, it cant come off the board.

maker

Post by maker » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:41 am

I used to have a mast base that unscrewed, but never figured out why that one did.

Charlie W
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by Charlie W » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:00 am

My Deck Plate came loose at Southbourne yesterday, was just coming in to tighten & it fully came out on the plane 70m out. Board fast drifted away from me towards Henisbury Head but managed to swim to it & re-attach. Took about 10 minutes, quite hard work getting U/J at right angle to push back in. Chinoock straight one so had to turn board at 90° angle.