Front hand under arm grip on boom

The place to discuss technique.
abitwindy
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Front hand under arm grip on boom

Post by abitwindy »

Yes like others I only use under hand grip occasionally when I had a 7m sail or if I’ve been sailing a while to change the muscles used.

Also i used to sometimes hold the uphaul with my front hand and leave back hand on the boom with my 7m and this really helped adding some power.
toto
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by toto »

I expect using a waist harness v seat harness makes a difference to what feels more natural, along with how long your harness lines are - shorter lines (relative to arm length) would mean your front hand is further forward nearer the mast where the curvature of the boom is greater hence making an under hand grip more natural?
GraemeF
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by GraemeF »

Got caught earlier this year using underhand on my kitebar on starboard tack, to much abuse from the kitesnowflakerati, it's just what it is, more comfortable for some, that and it made pumping easier and more efficient back in the not hooked in days
Duncan Adam
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Duncan Adam »

Due to a broken wrist many years ago, for me its underhand grip on starboard but over hand grip on port.
PhilN
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by PhilN »

Duncan Adam wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:51 pm Due to a broken wrist many years ago, for me its underhand grip on starboard but over hand grip on port.
Ditto more or less. I think I damaged my left scaphoid and couldn't sail underhand on that tack as my thumb hurt too much, but was ok just sailing along with fingers on top of the boom. I never reverted back on that tack.