Uk Camping with access to a good wave beach

Going somewhere exotic? Discuss in here..
Max
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 31 times

Uk Camping with access to a good wave beach

Post by Max »

well the world seems to have gone on lockdown and I'm thinking what we can do as a family to get some time away with a bit of wave action thrown in

has anyone got any recommendations for a caravan park or even a camp site close to a good wave beach I was thinking of going to do the Eurocamp thing and drive over to France but I think a more local option will be the best

hope everyone is safe and well and remains so

Max
Sailrepair
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 95 times

Re: Uk Camping with access to a good wave beach

Post by Sailrepair »

My favourite is Dunnet Bay up near Thurso.
abitwindy
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by abitwindy »

Hi Max
I really rate Parkdean Ruda in north devon ,we go there as a family all the time.
Croyde bay is a steep powerful wave and saunton sands just round the corner is a slow easy wave, i don't think you can windsurf at croyde bay but you can at saunton.
Im yet to find a caravan park in a better location in the uk for family surf trip.
BillG
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by BillG »

Riviere Towans holiday chalets run by https://www.tomsholidays.co.uk/. Right by the Bluff at Hayle with Gwithian and Mazza not too far.
Max
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Max »

Things have changed again and i dont think this will happen

I really cant see the country getting back to normal for a good while and there is going to be some real hard times coming for a lot of people emotionally and financally and if this has shown anything up its the fragility of our current employment market

Stay safe people

Max
Pad IoW
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Pad IoW »

He has closed for the foreseeable..... but my mate Dave's camp site is on the cliffs at Brighstone. Just to the west is Chilton, one of the better reef breaks in the south, X shore in a west wind. Maybe open again for Autumn?
PJnJCJ

Post by PJnJCJ »

Places that if have stayed in the UK - with campsites:

With a tent:
Westward Ho! - There is a campsite at Westward Ho - you need a tent, but great waves, and surf. Its a bit of a walk to the beach so you'd use your car for kit transport.
Horton: in the Gower, (wales) Camp right by the sea. No need to use your car to get to the beach.
Newgale: Wales - lovely wave beach in west wales. You camp the other side of the road.

No tent - staying in a caravan
Newton: Park dean Newton/wales - lots of lovely beaches, waves, no waves, surf. Friendly windsurf crowd. If its sailable there will be someone out.
(Its my local spot)
Tenby: park dean wales, I think you can camp there too. I didn't experience any waves there, although other say there can be waves sometime.
Jeroensurf
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Jeroensurf »

https://www.google.com/maps/search/camp ... a=!3m1!4b1

We usually rent an apartment at Chyreene court at the Bluff. I got once that tip from Billyboy and stayed since then dozens of time there but the farmer camping near Gwithian is nice too and on a walking distance of Mexico,s between the Bluff and Gwithian.
Good atmosphere in the water and a really nice wave.

Depending on you level and how easy you can ignore arses of locals Fres-west can be awesome or something to stay away from.
I,m pretty okay prone surfing on shortboards, did Bali, Maui, Northshore Oahu, lots of C-wall, Bretagne and French westcoast, portugal trips, but even at Pipeline the locals didnt drop in on purpose as much as at Fresh West.
When supping (i,m 95kg and paddling a 8.0x29x105l so a true high perf wave wave sup), it got more unfriendly, that I should leave the water and also away from the pack lots of blocking with the only goal I didnt catch a wave. Same with my wife.
I get frustrated by stuff like that so never go back and spend my money elsewhere, but if you can ignore that..it can be a nice wave.
Other spots in Wales: zero problems and at the Gower lots of nice people so probably a very local thing.

That said: imo Gwithian and the Bluff when it on are way better waves and better atmosphere in the water. There you see grommets and grandma,s in the water riding anything you can imagine side by side giving a more friendly relaxed vibe.