What's wrong with windsurfing?

Chat about stuff that doesn't fall into the other categories here.
BTB
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 38 times

Re: What's wrong with windsurfing?

Post by BTB » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:39 am

sup-ing has to be a gateway to windsurfing.

I think if you like the concept of Kiting and the danger doesn't put you off the you will default to that as it is practically and logisticaly easy and there is a big booming scene. Its not for me - and it won't be for others either. If you do a fair bit of suping you will appreciate that a moderate wind makes it a bit of a chore but at the same time if you had a sail you could cruise along. The drawback is still the cost of even a simple set up and thedifficulty but it was arguably more difficult back in the 80's / 90's when the gear was so much bigger, heavier and harder to use.

Sailrepair
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Sailrepair » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:01 am

For four years some of my hire out sups could take a windsurf rigs. They are inflatable boards some people use them here but people often hire them to take away on holiday and I would often say "the board can take a windsurf rig" and not once has anyone asked if they could hire a sail.

I know only one person to think of trying windsurfing. He is a mad keen sup guy, on windy days he does down winders and he wanted to try windsurfing. We lent him some reasonable kit but he found it a lot harder than he imagined and he gave us the kit back. He is now watching those wing-surfers with interest.

maker
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by maker » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:27 am

I posed the question why other water users don't migrate to windsurfing and seems to be complexity and slow progress to fun stage. Intersting to see points made about newbies to any water activity having additional barriers. Like Sailrepair I wondered if wingfoils would stimulate people to progress beyond SUP, but would have to be way cheaper. My iSUP was £200 from Lidle and needs that sort of price point.

ronnie
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by ronnie » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:40 pm

Sailrepair wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:01 am
For four years some of my hire out sups could take a windsurf rigs. They are inflatable boards some people use them here but people often hire them to take away on holiday and I would often say "the board can take a windsurf rig" and not once has anyone asked if they could hire a sail.

I know only one person to think of trying windsurfing. He is a mad keen sup guy, on windy days he does down winders and he wanted to try windsurfing. We lent him some reasonable kit but he found it a lot harder than he imagined and he gave us the kit back. He is now watching those wing-surfers with interest.
That's a lot of very useful feedback from you about SUPs and SUP people Sailrepair.

I'm just back from a SUP session on a lovely, sunny, very light wind day. Let a little kid try it and left them with him asking his dad to buy one. I have never seen any of the ways into windsurf on a SUP around here except me on my small hard SUP using a sail - and that is just like windsurfing, which people see regularly.

There is very little promotion of the iRig (and I'm not sure what the situation is for attaching one other than the strap system from DuoTone).
The adverts seem to show girls pumping the iSUP up and paddling it, but mostly then a man is waveSUPing it, windSUPing it or foiling it. There are windsurf girls who can do all of that for the advert.
More promo of the iRig might help, as there are so many people of both sexes SUPing now and once the wind starts blowing, normal SUP starts to get less fun.
Here are videos of a 6 year old girl with a small iRig (which she can hardly reach) and then with the extra small iRig. Promos like that might help sell iRigs (if the iSUP can accept an iRig easily).

Bouke/Witchcraft
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 100 times

Post by Bouke/Witchcraft » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:11 pm

Here in the north of Fuerte, you see some fresh blood appearing every now but not a lot and then but today we were at Risco del Paso at Sotavento, There were some 30-40 experienced windsurfers out behind the sand bar, freestylers, slalomers, wavers and B&Jers but also some 20-30 intermediates, amongst which many women. In the lagoon there were also some 30 people learning, kids, women, young men, older men. All seemed to have a great time, in spite of the struggle that learning to windsurf is. It was windy, warm, knee to chest deep and just sand. So totally safe, what ever you did wrong. Get up and try again. It seemed appealing to others as well as when I was teaching 2 kids, 2 different people aproached me and asked for info as they liked the look of it.
https://witchcraft.nu/. Boards, sails, masts, fins.

maker
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by maker » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:09 pm

bourke - sounds lie you got a good vibe going there that will draw interest and benign conditions too. I a often lone sailor on my beach, or like today three of us, not neough to draw others in. You aare our hope for a fresh generation :-).

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:52 am

maker wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:27 am
I posed the question why other water users don't migrate to windsurfing and seems to be complexity and slow progress to fun stage. Intersting to see points made about newbies to any water activity having additional barriers. Like Sailrepair I wondered if wingfoils would stimulate people to progress beyond SUP, but would have to be way cheaper. My iSUP was £200 from Lidle and needs that sort of price point.

It would help if the wings were cheaper. The advantage the wing has over the iRig is that you don't need to attach it to the board, so it could be used with any floaty board. This one seems quite stable once he hooks into the harness line, but is surprisingly unstable when held by the nose handle (judging by other videos).
It seems to me that it would be better to have the leash arranged so that the wing hovered in a stable manner above you.

nimo
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by nimo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:34 am

I might live to regret saying this, but I can't help looking at those foil wings and thinking it is a sh*tter version of windsurfing combined with a sh*tter version of kitesurfing. :lol:
the worst of both worlds?

PK1111
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by PK1111 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:30 am

Saw a chap out on a Naish foil board and wing at Viana do Castelo the other day in typical choppy 15 to 20 knots.
It looked very unstable and hard to get going.
There are a few wind foilers who get going reasonably early and are flying around especially on foil sups.
I’ve even seen an inflatable foil sup though not in use and doesn’t have a deck fitting.
But the obvious winners are the kite surfers. They seem to get going very early even without foils or big kites although those who do are joining around from 5 knots!

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:54 am

nimo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:34 am
I might live to regret saying this, but I can't help looking at those foil wings and thinking it is a sh*tter version of windsurfing combined with a sh*tter version of kitesurfing. :lol:
the worst of both worlds?
It is a worse version of whatever it wasn't designed for. It was designed for downwinding on a SUP foil.

I think it will have some use on SUP days which are windy enough to spoil paddle boarding. It could also turn out to be a way to sail out to swells on a SUPfoil when it is windy and foil the swells with the wing turned off.